ctrl-alt-F11

Hi,
On my i386 box I run two X servers, one on vt9 (24-bit) and one on vt10
(16-bit). From time to time I press the wrong function key when changeing
servers, like ctrl-alt-F11. ctrl-alt-F11 immediately causes the machine to
completely lockup, clocks stop, can't kill the X server, even the MagicSysRQ
key does not work anymore, can not log in via the network. Is this exspected
behaviour or did I manage to configure something wrong?

This is with kernel 2.2.18 (with rtl patches), xfree-4.0.2-1 selfbuilt from
Brandens source packages, the rest was current woody until the pools where
introduced, updated only a few packages (to woody? testing?) later.

Christian.