Re: XFree86 4.0.2 status

"Christian T. Steigies" wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 07:01:00PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > With 4.0.2 installed:
> >
> > ~> strings /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a|grep memcpy
> > xf86memcpy
> >

> > memcpy is #defined to xf86memcpy in
> > xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/xf86_libc.h
> >
> > So something goes very wrong with your build.
> Tell me... and _that_ part _was_ working in a previous build. And I did not
> change much on my build system since then, I only installed (and built)
> glibc2.2 and gcc-2.95.3 ;-)

[...]

> And for all I can say, the source in the bitmap directory did not change
> since quite some time, so I wonder why the binaries do not work anymore?

I don't think the problem are the bitmap sources, bitmap is the first module
loaded so I imagine the other modules alse reference wrong symbols. I really
suspect there's something wrong with your glibc headers or the compiler.

> When I perform you strings command on a previous version, I get:
> strings libbitmap.a | grep memcpy
> memcpy
> xf86memcpy
> memcpy
>
> Not sure if loading libbitmap was working here, I just unpackage the dep.
> Will check that again at home. But you see I get memcpy twice plus
> xf86memcpy once. Is that ok?

Better yet: check with objdump -t . It should only reveal xf86memcpy, not
plain memcpy. The same for all standard libc functions.

I guess you'll have to track down what happens with a source file whose
compiled object contains a wrong symbol.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project