Re: [rdice@pobox.com: Re: Xfree 4.0.2 driver module problem for ATI R128 (unstable) (Debian Bug report logs - #81007)]

> grep INPUT .config should show you the options related to the new input
> layer.

Okay... I wondered if it might have been those, but decided against it
as it only appears to pertain to USB.  (At least, it's listed under
the "USB support" menu in 'make menuconfig'.)

> No. The former r128 driver has been merged into the ati driver. There's no
> other driver which has knowledge about your graphics chip.

Gotcha.  This, I didn't know.

> > If I have to buy a new video card for my laptop in able to get
> > this feature, then I will.
>
> If you could exchange it...

If someone could tell me an Xfree86-4 driver that could do simultaneous
lcd panel / extern video, I'd buy a video card that corresponded to the
driver, if such a card existed that was compatible with my notebook.

> > (If I have to switch to a non-free X server, then I will do this, too,
> > though I'd prefer to just get a new video card, even if the price is
> > higher this way.)
>
> A commercial X server might be a solution, don't know.

Xig sure wasn't. ;-)  I'll look into the other(s).

> Not likely, as it's basically the same driver. BTW setterm or some other
> tool might help making the console lighter.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I played around with setterm, and no luck
with it so far.  It may yet pull through.

> > Regarding the original problem with the r128 driver provided in the 4.0.2
> > debs and its unresolved symbols, might this be fixed if I just "apt-get
> > source xfree86-xserver" and compile this on my own machine?  (Just a
> > thought.)
>
> Very unlikely.

Now that I know that r128 has been merged in with ati, I can see why
you'd say this.

> BTW I wonder what the pattern behind this problem is, as it works on my
> PPC machine? Is it architecture or Debian specific?

If your notebook is PPC and we're both running Debian, then it seems
like it could be the arch.  But that doesn't even necessarily mean
the PPC vs. Celeron arch.  Our respective notebook manufacturers could
have done anything w.r.t. to the video bus.  Maybe your card isn't
agp and mine is?

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,
Richard

 Richard Dice * Personal 519 635 9568 * Fax 519 635 9569
 ShadNet Creator * http://shadnet.shad.ca/ * rdice@shadnet.shad.ca
 Occasional Writer, HotWired * http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/
     "squeeze the world 'til it's small enough to join us heel to toe"
         - jesus jones