missing fixed fonts?

After a recent apt-get upgrade, X can no longer find the fixed font and
crashes. I've been through the /var/log/X log file but the only problem is
the final crash with the missing 'fixed' font error. X does find all the font
directories fine. Before the latest upgrade, I had KDE2.2.2 working fine with
anti-aliasing enabled. Now I don't even have X.

I have had to resort to an old system I was using for X-Terminal trials to
send this mail.

The system is mostly Debian testing with KDE mostly from unstable. I remember
seeing something during the post install config about a font moving, but
missed where it went. Now I can not get X to work at all.

Any help or assistance would be greaatly appreciated. As I'm using another
system and have to share the monitor, I don't have the complete particulars,
but the things I have checked and looked at:

X version 4, not sure which sub-version, but it's from testing.

font server is xfs. I tried installing the other font servers, but they were
configured to use ports 7101 and 7110 instead of 7100. I did try changing the
xconfig file to the different ports, but this made no difference and I think
I was in the wrong there anyway. One interesting note, fslsfonts -server
localhost:7100 reports it can not connect to the server. When I had the other
two font servers installed, I did get a reply from fslsfonts on port 7101,
but X still did not work.

Desktop KDE2.2.2 from unstable. This had been working fine, though I had been
considering upgrading to a complete unstable system to avoid these types of
problems.

I am hoping someone knows where the fixed font has moved to so I can get X
working again with a minimum of difficulty. I did try another dist-upgrade
after a day, to see if the rest of X would upgrade and fix itself, but to no
avail. I have also removed the other font servers incase they might cause
more problems.

Thanks for any help that can be offered, and I can copy and append any logs
or other files that might be of help in finding the cause of my current X
problems.

Cheers,

	John Gay