Branden's X configuration

Question, maybe especially - but exclusivly - for X expert Branden:

Today I tried installing X by downloading and compiling from Xfree's
CVS.
Apart from some changes this caused in my /etc/X11/* files,
- I use /usr/local/X11R6 as ProjectRoot (to avoid a clash with my
existing
  and working sid-installation)
- and changed ld.so.conf by including /usr/local/X11R6/lib (otherwise X
  wouldn't find libfreetype.so.7),

but can't make kdm run. startx works (two of three times, otherwise
locks up the machine). I tried with new /etc/X11 directory as well as my
previous one (which I had backed up before installing CVS version) to no
avail.

However, when I start kdm, I get the following error:

---
AUDIT: <date> 590 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID=-1
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

kdm_greet: cannot connect to X server :0
---

I don't know whether this is caused by general changes in 4.1.99 or not.
Did you maybe in/exclude anything (authentication protocol? Anything
debian specific?) in your configuration before compiling?

I had to install libpam0g-dev to make "make install" run without error,
so I suppose this has something to do with my problem now.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria                  Check it out: