Mouse hangs in 4.1.0-9

My mouse occasionally hangs with 4.1.0-9 while I am in X using a window
manager and doing work - i.e. it stops responding to mouse movement.  It can
take a few minutes or a few days or anywhere in between for the mouse to
hang; I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it.

I have an M$ Intellimouse Explorer PS/2 (in XF86Config-4: Option "Protocol"
"ExplorerPS/2"), and when the mouse pointer hangs the LED on the back of the
mouse goes off, though the LED that it actually seems to use for tracking
still works - seems to imply that data is no longer being exchanged through
the PS/2 port.  Exiting my window manager and returning to kdm makes the
mouse work again.  I didn't have problems with previous packaging revisions
of 4.1.0.

With -9pre10v1 the problem gets worse; the mouse and keyboard become hung
right when X starts, every time I've tried to start it - I can't even get a
chance to use kdm to login, I have to ssh in from another box to kill X - and
sometimes even when X is killed the keyboard still doesn't work at the text
console.  Downgrading to -9 restored the less problematic state described
above, which makes it seem to me like it has something to do with packaging.

Running kernel 2.4.12-ac3 with sid updated daily; I'd be glad to provide more
information if told what is needed.  Also if there is a pertinent FM I should
RT please point me in the right direction (my efforts to find information on
this problem before posting were fruitless).

Thanks very much,
--Tom Joseph