Re: New ARM elfloader patch

Philip Blundell wrote:

FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument

That looks like a "good" error, in the sense that I don't think it's at all related to the ELF loader. Instead you seem to have some kind of fbcon problem. I think this can happen if you are trying to start up X in a different colour depth to the one you currently have set, or that kind of thing. I think "fbset" will tell you the current situation.

Ah, yes. You're right. If I tell it 8-bit, then it gets past that, and gets signal 4 later, after setting up the mouse. Oh well. Config and log at the same place as last time. But yes, the ELF loader might just be working... :-)

Next question: why can't I have 16-bit? fbset -depth 16 gives me the same error. But I have 2 MB VRAM (standard Netwinder), and at 1024x768, 16-bit should use just 1.5 MB, right? I've had 16-bit success with previous 2.4.x kernels, but can't get 2.4.5 to do it.

Here's what fbset -i has to say:

mode "1024x768-60"
   # D: 64.998 MHz, H: 48.362 kHz, V: 60.002 Hz
   geometry 1024 768 1024 768 8
   timings 15385 160 24 29 3 136 6
   accel true
   rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0