Re: proposed alt/meta change to /etc/X11/symbols/us

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:53:25PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > Having separate alt and meta keys appears to be popular with no one,
> > hence this change.
>
> Having separate alt and meta keys is one of the things that really
> impressed me about Debian in the first place.  (Far from the only
> thing, but I found it indicative of the attention to detail that makes
> Debian such a high quality system.)
>
> If it "appears" to be popular with no one, that may be because the
> people (like me) who prefer the system as it is have had no reason to
> complain, and were therefore silent.
>
> If I do have a complaint about keyboard mappings in Debian, it is with
> the console mappings, not the X mappings, which are, IMO, excellent.

Hrm.  All right.  To be honest, having alt and meta on separate keys has
never been a problem for me personally (filthy vim-using infidel that I
am), but it drives some guys I work with crazy, and I periodically get
griped at about it at trade shows and the like.

I'll see if I can figure out how to create an options file for it.  (A
lá /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ctrl).

Thanks for the feedback!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory