Re: cannot login 2 X since upgrade 2 woody

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 04:08:11PM +0200, Mayer, Christian (Dregis) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i cannot login to X anymore since upgrade from potato to woody. Does anybody
> have an idea. the login-screen (kdm) appears, i give in login and pw it
> seems as if it wanted to start my kde-session but then falls back to the
> login-screen. I had this before and reinstalled all becaus i suggested i
> destroyed something in PAM-configuration but this time i'm shure i didn't.
> Please help, i'm sick of this problem

When you have such a problem you should always try logging into the
text console too, to see if it's a PAM problem.

In this case, I'm sure you will find you can log in fine to the text
console: the fact that it 'seems to start' your session almost
certainly means that is exactly what its doing.

Your session file is probably broken: I don't know how KDM  manages
sessions, but you probably need to clear or delete a config file.
Does KDM not offer some kind of 'safe session' or 'bare .xsession'
option?

Jules