xf86cfg segfault, missing directories (?)

Hi...  (disclaimer:  I'm still a bit of a newbie in this area, so please
be gentle :)  What I did today:
1.  Installed Potato on workstation (clean partitions, just essential
packages).
2.  Set up sources.list to point to "unstable" branch, did "apt-get
dist-upgrade", handled a few problems, blah...  also set up sources.list
to point to Branden's X 4.1.0-pre site (I have not installed X yet).
3.  Installed the xfree 4.1.0-0pre1v5 packages.  Everything was downloaded,
installed, and configured according to dpkg.
4.  Ran "xf86cfg -textmode".  When I got to the Card option, I got a segfault.
5.  Ran xf86cfg thru strace, the last few lines of strace says:

stat64("/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/linux/", 0xbfffda7c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers", 0xbfffda7c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

What part of the installation process should these directories be created?
My setup is currently missing the drivers directory.

TIA, Alan.

--
alan at alangarrison dot com
"Tuesday is 'Human Sacrifice Day' at the Sizzler."  - Joel R.