xf86cfg segfault, missing directories (?)

Hi...  (disclaimer:  I'm still a bit of a newbie in this area, so please
be gentle :)  What I did today:
1.  Installed Potato on workstation (clean partitions, just essential
2.  Set up sources.list to point to "unstable" branch, did "apt-get
dist-upgrade", handled a few problems, blah...  also set up sources.list
to point to Branden's X 4.1.0-pre site (I have not installed X yet).
3.  Installed the xfree 4.1.0-0pre1v5 packages.  Everything was downloaded,
installed, and configured according to dpkg.
4.  Ran "xf86cfg -textmode".  When I got to the Card option, I got a segfault.
5.  Ran xf86cfg thru strace, the last few lines of strace says:

stat64("/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/linux/", 0xbfffda7c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers", 0xbfffda7c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

What part of the installation process should these directories be created?
My setup is currently missing the drivers directory.

TIA, Alan.

alan at alangarrison dot com
"Tuesday is 'Human Sacrifice Day' at the Sizzler."  - Joel R.