Re: X isn't working

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 08:45:29PM +1000, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:
> I have rebuilt my machine up to sid after the first major system loss
> in over 5 years of using Debian, about three weeks ago.  Now X11
> refuses to work.  X stopped suddenly in the middle of a session, some
> time after upgrading to 4.1.0-0pre1v5 by "the usual" apt-get
> dist-upgrade that I do every few days.
[...]
> Perhaps I ought to get off the "bleeding edge," as I am somewhat
> lacking in relevant skills; however, sid has improved in so many ways
> that I am reluctant to abandon it.

I hope you are aware that 4.1.0-0pre1v5 isn't part of "sid".  It isn't even
an official Debian package at all.  It's an experimental one.

> (**) MGA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 24
> (==) MGA(0): RGB weight 888
> (**) MGA(0): Option "UseFBDev" "true"

As the debconf question indicates, using fbdev may be a problem;
dpkg-reconfigure, and consider turning it off.

> (II) Loading sub module "mga_hal"
> (II) LoadModule: "mga_hal"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o
> (II) Module mga_hal: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> 	compiled for 4.0.3, module version = 1.0.0
> 	ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.3
> (II) MGA(0): Matrox HAL module used

As I understand it, the HAL module is not necessary in XFree86 4.1.0 for
basic functionality.  Consider moving this module out of the way.

> This is disconcerting.  But I am confident it will work out.

You're using experimental XFree86 packages in conjunction with a closed
source server module that Debian doesn't supply, and using a server option
that is known to cause problems in some configurations (for all I know, it
is the combination of mga_hal and fbdevhw that is the problem; both are
ways of communicating with the MGA hardware).

Unless you're interested in being a guinea pig, I suggest a more
conservative approach.  Otherwise, I suggest we take this problem report
upstream.

Thanks for your thorough bug report; the log and configuration files made
it possible for me to diagnose a few possible culprits.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |   Never underestimate the power of human
Debian GNU/Linux                   |   stupidity.