recent gnome apps _slow_ and network access

running debian unstable w/ gnome gui recently
(past few weeks) upgraded gnome apps started taking
5 to 10 seconds to crank up.  Logging onto X via
gnome takes close to a minute for my desktop to
come up.  The network gets beat on in the process
(watching idiot lights on my cable modem).

Switching over to Xfce and logging on takes
only a second for a desktop to pop up and
settle down.

Within Xfce cranking up non-gnome app takes
a second.  Cranking up a gnome app takes 5 to
10 seconds.

Anyone know what happened to gnome and whether this
is permanent?  On my end it's scary.  For awhile
I was wondering whether I'ld been hacked because
it seemed like every app cranking up accessed the
network and took forever to come up.  Nice to
know it's only gnome stuff that accesses the network
(? why ?) and takes forever to come up.

Heitzso