Re: results using xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v1 on sparc

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 12:34:45PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > Was left with both
> > >  	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
> > > 	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
> > > in XF86Config-4.  That caused crashes.
> >
> > You don't have /dev/input?
>
> No.  Should I ?  Maybe that's a makedev bug...
>
> So it's normal to have two mice input devices?

Yes.  This is a neat hack that Jeff Licquia and I came up with for
Progeny's installer, and I saw no reason to keep it out of Debian's X
packages.

The why and wherefore is documented in the 4.0.2-4 changelog:

  * debian/local/dexconf: take advantage of modern kernels' /dev/input/mice
    device (with xserver-xfree86 only), since it always opens successfully,
    always have an input device for it, and write an input device stanza
    which also sends core events for any non-USB autodetected mouse as well

The logic for this is on lines 274-324 of /usr/bin/dexconf.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |        kernel panic -- causal failure