Re: results using xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v1 on sparc

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:08:39AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> During configuration of xserver-xfree86, ati is not offered as a
> card driver choice; worked around by configuring for fbdev then
> changing the configuration file afterwards

The fix for this will be in the next version I release.

> After installation of the packages, despite being asked the questions,
> I was strangely left w/o an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  Running
> 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and running thru the packages again
> managed to install that conffile though.  Wierd.

Hrm, yes.  I can't think of how this is possible, but all the logic for
writing/overwriting this file is in Bourne shell.  See
/var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.{config,postinst}.

It's not a conffile, BTW.

> During configuration of mouse, was not offered /dev/sunmouse.
>
> Am confused on what the mouse protocol is called in XF86 v4.  The
> sunmouse is not mentioned in
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.mouse.gz .

If someone can kindly explain to me exactly how to cover the possible
scenarios (port + protocol), I'll add code for it.

My UltraSPARC is a Donovan machine and thus physically resembles an ATX
Intel machine more than anything else.

> Was left with both
>  	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
> in XF86Config-4.  That caused crashes.

You don't have /dev/input?

> On starting X server, keyboard seems totally fudged.  All keys
> remapped to garbage, unable to escape with Ctrl-Alt-Bksp or
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, had to ssh into the box and kill the window manager
> manually.

You probably have a type4/type5/type6/whatever keyboard.  I don't yet have
any debconf templates for XKB configuration.

> Let me know how else I can help.  Please CC me on replies, I'm not on
> this list.

CC'ing per your request.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |         Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                |         Biology is really chemistry.