Re: xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v1 for i386 at X Strike Force repository

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 06:00:15PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Great work, Branden.  Thanks a lot.
>
> BR>     + mkfontdir will howl about 3 fonts in xfonts-75dpi.  This is
> BR>     an upstream bug and has already been reported.  I don't want
> BR>     to hear about it.
>
> Haven't heard about it.  Which fonts are these?

I sent mail to the xpert list yesterday about them; I don't have the list
handy right now.

> BR>     + [xbase-clients?] new utilities: dpsexec, dpsinfo, [...] texteroids,
>
> I'm wondering about the wisdom of making xbase-clients dependent on
> the DPS libraries.

Yeah, some people complain about this.  I remain unconvinced.  Gratuitous
package proliferation is bad.

> BR>     + [xspecs] most of these files have been renamed because
> BR>     upstream rejected my patch to give them IMO more sensible
> BR>     names
>
> Does that mean that the X books have different names upstream and in
> Debian?  If so, I think it's a very bad idea as it will make telling
> people to RTFM horribly awkward.

Well, this isn't the case anymore.  They used to be named differently; now
they aren't.

> BR>     - new library; libXmuu, a version of Xmu that does not depend on Xt
> BR>       (shared version)
>
> That's not quite accurate.  It's a library that contains only those
> symbols from Xmu that have been found to be used by many non-Xt
> clients.  It is by no means a replacement for Xmu.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The errors of great men are venerable
Debian GNU/Linux                |    because they are more fruitful than the