RE: Standard set of X-fonts?

Hi all,

I agree with Nobbi. When I probe install Progeny Debian Linux distribution in Lithuanian school and got many problems with fonts in ISO-8859-13 encoding (ISO-8859-13 is standart Baltic enconding), because there are no standart linux fonts in ISO-8859-13 encoding. Win32 has standart fonts (Times, Courier, etc.) with Baltic symbols. I think Xfree86 must have standart fonts in ALL needed encodings (ISO-8859-xx, KOI8-R, etc.) like Win32.

Nobbi wrote:

I do not know, whether I'm the only one annoyed by this topic of fonts
under  XWin for several years now. I know, there are people working on
it at  several  ends, but to me it seems that still nobody has come up
with a solution:

Is there any standard set of XLFDs which are guaranteed to exist on
every  X-System, and which applications are obliged to stick to for
default fonts?

I know, there is this set of fonts that are distributed along with
XFree, but  frankly: they seem pretty chaotic to me. Quite a number
looks extremely  ugly,  but every attempt to clean up anything in there
has yet been in vain, since  every time, there is at least one program
that depends on exactly the  detail I  tried to change.

The solution I would propose would be, to design such a standard set,
perhaps starting with something like "-std-...", provide aliases to the existing fonts and have all Debian applications stick to those aliases only. That way, it would also be easily possible for a use to switch to a differnent font-set which would then be used by all applications.

I have talked to the upstream X maintainers, but they did not catch on
at all - probably, because it would mainly be a distributions' job to introduce such a standard. Maybe, there even have been talks on one of the Debian lists about it, but I did not really know what key-words to search for to find anything.