Re: XF86Config-4 for 4.0.2-13

"Christian T. Steigies" wrote:

> > > I installed X4.0 on a Sony Vaio, it seems to have an ATI Rage128 Pro
> > > card
> >
> > There is no such mobility chip. What does 'lspci|grep VGA' say?
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PR

Ahh, the PR... it looks like there is still no support for it even in the
current XFree86 CVS. :( Should be a matter of adding a case for a few switch
statements though, the PCI ID is already defined. It's possibly already
supported in some PPC patches (the newer iMacs have such a chip).

I don't think that the xserver-rage128 would support your chip either...

> > > which is not yet supported by the ati driver (and the rage128 fails
> > > miserably to install..).
> >
> > How does it fail to install?
> root@lepjas2:~>apt-get install xserver-rage128

Ah, I didn't understand you meant the 3.3.x server.

> > /dev/input/mice is part of the New Input Layer (CONFIG_INPUT). The major
> > and minor numbers are 13 and 63 respectively (read
> > linux/Documentation/usb/input.txt .
> But I do not use a USB mouse, I selected PS/2 during the configuration,
> how does the USB stuff get into the config file then? Why does it not put
> the selection I made into the config file?

Note that the new input layer isn't only for USB, that's just how it came in.
/dev/input/mice is a 'mixer' device which emits the sum of all mouse events in
ImPS/2 protocol - very handy for hot-plugging mice.