Re: Xv client library: shared version?

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 10:53:54AM -0700, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>   It's not an X-consortium standard, or even a de-facto standard.
> If you have an app that links against Xv, it won't even start
> unless you have the libraries on your machine.  That would prohibit
> using that app with anything other than an XFree86 4.x installation.
>
>    Say you had an app that wanted to use Xv if available, and do
> its own software scaling/color conversion otherwise so it would
> work on XiG's server or with 3.3.x.  If you called XvQueryExtension
> to find if the extension was available your app will not run.
> Debian can include a shared library if they want, but applications
> wanting to optionally use Xv would be wise to compile with the static
> version.

Good enough reasoning for me.  I've actually been arguing against shipping
a shared version in Debian's packages until the XFree86 build process does
so, but some of my users are harassing me to do otherwise.

Thanks for the explanation, Mark.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |            You live and learn.
Debian GNU/Linux                |            Or you don't live long.