Re: XFree 4.0.3 debs

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:02:30PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:22:38PM +0200, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> > Why libXv.so is not integrated in the new pre-debs from
> > Branden Robinson's site?
>
> Because the upstream build process does not compile a shared version.  Xv
> is at present available only as a static library.
>
> > It is needed by applications like xine to view
> > VCD or DVD in fullscreenmode.
>
> Yes, and they can link it in statically.

Alternatively, you could do the following (as root, in /usr/X11R6/lib):
ld --whole-archive -shared -o libXxf86dga.so libXxf86dga.a
ld --whole-archive -shared -o libXv.so libXv.a

This tends to do the trick at least for livid (the last time I checked).

--
charl p. botha      | computer graphics and cad/cam
http://cpbotha.net/ | http://www.cg.its.tudelft.nl/