Re: DFSG and fonts

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 12:15:38PM -0400, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Speaking of DFSG-free fonts, I hear there is a set of GPL'd TrueType
> fonts in the OpenOffice distribution. (I also hear that their hinting
> has problems due to the particular software they were created with, but
> that's an aside - the license guarantees that someone somewhere can fix
> them).
[...]
> I'd love to be able to dump the truetype.tar.gz fonts in favor of
> installing xfonts-openoffice :)

If someone does this, I'd like to request that this not be used as the
package name, because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think we should come up with a font naming policy.  In the future,
"xfonts-*" should probably be a prefix reserved for fonts that are
typically rasterized only by an X server or font server.

That is the case for PCF, BDF, and (arguably) Speedo fonts, but clearly not
so for Type1, Type3, and TrueType fonts.

Existing font packages should be grandfathered, of course, but I'd like to
start moving towards a more sensible namespace for fonts in Debian, in
addition to moving them to more FHS-sensible locations like /usr/share.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    I suspect Linus wrote that in a
Debian GNU/Linux                |    complicated way only to be able to have