Re: DFSG and fonts

Branden Robinson wrote:

> Underlying the DFSG is the notion that these are important values. Debian
> does not insist that everyone else in the world share them, or prioritize
> them as highly as we do.  They are, however, very high priorities for our
> Project.

Speaking of DFSG-free fonts, I hear there is a set of GPL'd TrueType
fonts in the OpenOffice distribution. (I also hear that their hinting
has problems due to the particular software they were created with, but
that's an aside - the license guarantees that someone somewhere can fix
them).

My question is - has anyone packaged or thought about packaging these
fonts for Debian? I'm currently using MS's fonts (the truetype.tar.gz
provided by Keith Packard on his render page) and although the license
is much closer to free than I would have expected from MS, it's still
far from the DFSG, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Those fonts
are one of only about 4 non-dfsg programs on my computer (the others
being netscape, java, and oracle).

I'd love to be able to dump the truetype.tar.gz fonts in favor of
installing xfonts-openoffice :)

Stuart.