Re: Update on status of CVS DRI packages.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:08:53PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:58:00PM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> > After much prodding and poking I have it down to three issues, the
> > naming scheme is as follows, with the issues below.
> >
> > xlibmesa3-dri contains libGL, libGLU, and libGLw, it also contains
> > usr/X11R6/lib/modules.dri/dri/(gamma|i810|mga|r128|radeon|sis|tdfx)_driso.
>
> I don't think GLw is supposed to be available as a shared object.

Whoops, my mistake, it is as a .a in -dev and not at all in
xlibmesa3-dri.

> > xlibmesa-dri-dev contains the devel files for xlibmesa3-dri.
> >
> > xlibosmesa3-dri contains libOSMesa.
> >
> > xlibosmesa-dri-dev contains the devel files for xlibosmesa3-dri.
>
> Do you have any feedback for Marcelo Magallon, who, IIRC claims you don't
> need to provide versions of these?

I'll probably stop building them before I put things up.

> > xserver-dri contains usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.dri and more contents for
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules.dri.
> >
> > This scheme removes all need for diversions, leaving with exactly three
> > issues before I can produce .debs for people to test.
>
> Okay, great.
>
> > 1: I'd really like Branden to agree to the naming scheme.
>
> One tweak.  I think the package names should be exactly as my X package
> names, with "-dri" appended.  Even for the -dev packages.
>
> So, e.g., xlibmesa-dev-dri.

Sounds reasonable.

> Also, for the sake of sheer symmetry I don't see why you can't use the
> pathnames XFree86-dri and modules-dri.

Done.

> > 2: Until Branden packages 4.0.3 or later I need to provide the
> > XFree86.dri, and need to figure out the proper way to set
> > /etc/X11/Xserver XFree86.dri.
> > (Branden, can you point this out please? It should be simple.)
>
> Actually, it probably isn't.  You need to do something akin to a
> global-search and replace in debconf template names in the templates,
> config, and other maintainer scripts, replacing "xserver-xfree86" with
> "xserver-xfree86-dri".
>
> Also, you need to be sure that all references to "/usr/.../XFree86" in
> these files change to "XFree86-dri".

Ugh, I was hoping to avoid most of that as the dri xserver package
depends on yours. (See below.)

> > 3: The XF86Config-4 needs to have two lines[1] added so X will search
> > the modules.dri directory then the modules directory, I'll probably
> > leave this up to the user for now.
>
> Yes, let's do that.  Otherwise I have to hack dexconf.  You can use my
> message() shell function in the postinst to tell the user to do this.
>
> > As soon as those three have been addressed I'll put .debs up somewhere
> > aptable for people to test.
> >
> > Zephaniah E. Hull.
> >
> > 1:
> > ModulePath  "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules.dri"
> > ModulePath  "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
>
> Are you sure both are needed?  Your xserver-xfree86-dri package should
> provide a superset of the modules that my xserver-xfree86 package does.

Actually it is a subset, providing only what is used by the DRI code and
leaving the rest to your packages, otherwise I would simply conflict
with xserver-xfree86.

The reason is two fold, the first is that it is roughly what the DRI
project is providing in other forms.

The second is that the DRI cvs tree does not include everything that the
X cvs tree does, trying to provide a superset would be quite a bit more
work all around.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801