Re: Update on status of CVS DRI packages.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:58:00PM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> After much prodding and poking I have it down to three issues, the
> naming scheme is as follows, with the issues below.
>
> xlibmesa3-dri contains libGL, libGLU, and libGLw, it also contains
> usr/X11R6/lib/modules.dri/dri/(gamma|i810|mga|r128|radeon|sis|tdfx)_dri.so.

I don't think GLw is supposed to be available as a shared object.

> xlibmesa-dri-dev contains the devel files for xlibmesa3-dri.
>
> xlibosmesa3-dri contains libOSMesa.
>
> xlibosmesa-dri-dev contains the devel files for xlibosmesa3-dri.

Do you have any feedback for Marcelo Magallon, who, IIRC claims you don't
need to provide versions of these?

> xserver-dri contains usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.dri and more contents for
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules.dri.
>
> This scheme removes all need for diversions, leaving with exactly three
> issues before I can produce .debs for people to test.

Okay, great.

> 1: I'd really like Branden to agree to the naming scheme.

One tweak.  I think the package names should be exactly as my X package
names, with "-dri" appended.  Even for the -dev packages.

So, e.g., xlibmesa-dev-dri.

Also, for the sake of sheer symmetry I don't see why you can't use the
pathnames XFree86-dri and modules-dri.

> 2: Until Branden packages 4.0.3 or later I need to provide the
> XFree86.dri, and need to figure out the proper way to set
> /etc/X11/Xserver XFree86.dri.
> (Branden, can you point this out please? It should be simple.)

Actually, it probably isn't.  You need to do something akin to a
global-search and replace in debconf template names in the templates,
config, and other maintainer scripts, replacing "xserver-xfree86" with
"xserver-xfree86-dri".

Also, you need to be sure that all references to "/usr/.../XFree86" in
these files change to "XFree86-dri".

> 3: The XF86Config-4 needs to have two lines[1] added so X will search
> the modules.dri directory then the modules directory, I'll probably
> leave this up to the user for now.

Yes, let's do that.  Otherwise I have to hack dexconf.  You can use my
message() shell function in the postinst to tell the user to do this.

> As soon as those three have been addressed I'll put .debs up somewhere
> aptable for people to test.
>
> Zephaniah E. Hull.
>
> 1:
> ModulePath  "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules.dri"
> ModulePath  "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

Are you sure both are needed?  Your xserver-xfree86-dri package should
provide a superset of the modules that my xserver-xfree86 package does.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |        "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Debian GNU/Linux                |        "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle