Re: Help needed, TDFX [Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 23, 2001]

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 08:08:16PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  > Neither.  It's that the X server and Glide2 would have to cooperate in
>  > order to let you do it.  As of XFree4, X no longer knows how to talk to
>  > Glide2, but does know how to talk to Glide3.  Evil, eh?
>
>  Then why does it work for V1 and V2?

Because the V1 and V2 are not otherwise handled at all by X.

>  What you are saying sound like "there's no DRM for glide2".
>
>  Maybe the bit of info I'm missing is why would I want to use glide2
>  instead of glide3 if I have a V3?  I remember vaguely something along
>  the lines of "all the V3s are equal, but some are more equal than
>  others".  Maybe I should go and buy myself a V1 or V2...

The V3 runs faster and more stably with Glide2 and XFree3 than Glide3 and
XFree4.  Branden would have to make frequent uploads of CVS versions to
keep DRI in top shape.  Given that DRI in the current packages is the only
thing that the current X configuration stuff doesn't do for you (in fact
it's rather hostile toward it - I suspect Branden hasn't figured out the
gritty details of DRI yet due to time or indifference.

If you have a 3dfx card, you probably should be using CVS DRI, which can
be made not too painful (but will uglify your XF86Config-4 file a bit..)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

<doogie> dpkg has bugs?  no way!