Re: Help needed, TDFX [Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 23, 2001]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Alexander Hvostov wrote:

> I have this problem too. After a while, X freezes while running _any_ OpenGL
> application. This means blender, GL screen savers, GL xmms plugins, etc.
> The only way to recover from this is to login to the machine over the network,
> kill -9 X, and restart it (which, in my case, is done by gdm). However, doing
> this causes the text mode console to become totally screwed up; attempting to
> switch to the console works except that the display is still in graphics mode
> (with whatever X drew on the screen). This display doesn't get repainted,
> since all the software (the kernel and X) thinks the display is in text mode,
> but it really isn't. Switching back to X works fine though (ie, it repaints
> the screen and otherwise behaves normally).

On the occasions when I've succeeded in breaking things horribly while GL was
in use, I've found that loading the framebuffer module for my card restored
the console to a usable state.

> For this reason, I've disabled DRI on my system until this problem gets fixed.
> It would be nice to have it fixed, since applications like blender get really
> slow without it...

> My hardware is a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee. The chip is 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee,
> PCI revision 3, part/serial/whatever number CT6760, 16 MB SDRAM on-board. It's
> attached to PCI (as you might have guessed).

> Because the freezes seem totally unpredictable (except of course that a GL
> application is running at the time of the freeze), I find this bug difficult
> to reproduce.

I looked into this bug briefly during the first bug-squashing party this year,
but since I didn't have my home machine (Voodoo3) set up to support DRI at
the time, I couldn't verify it directly.  Someone else on IRC then said they
were using OpenGL on their 3dfx and it worked fine.

I'm now running XFree 4.0.2-7, xlibmesa3 4.0.2-7, libglide3 2001.01.26-1,
and xscreensaver-gl 3.29-3, and I'm not having any problems.  I don't know if
this helps fix the bug in mesag3-glide2...  but it suggests that a workaround
may be to use xlibmesa3 instead of mesag3.  (Isn't the integrated XFree4 code
the preferred GL driver anyway?)

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer