Re: Setting dpms

Scott Bronson wrote:

> I want to set DPMS every time an X session is started, regardless
> of user (i.e. no custom session files in home directories).
> This is for the lastest unstable X 4.0.2.
>
> I tried creating /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10xfree86-set_dpms:
>
>         xset dpms 0 0 1200
>         xset +dpms
>
> But this doesn't work.  It IS marked executable, but X still starts
> up with dpms disabled and set to blank after 10 seconds.  If I then
> source 10xfree86-set_dpms, everything works as it should.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The server resets its internal state when the last client disconnects. Your
script is probably started first so the xsets are the only clients and the
server resets after each one.

Either move the script back after when the window manager or another
non-terminating client has been started or start such a client in your script.

You could also try to use the -noreset server option, but that might have
other disadvantages - read the docs.