DRI with Matrox G450 in X4.0.99.1

As anyone following the "BYOX" thread will be aware, I've just
successfully built xserver debs for XFree 4.0.99.1. I had two reasons
for wanting to do this: firstly I wanted G450 support without having to
use FBDev, and secondly because I hoped it might be possible to get 3D
acceleration.

The first goal was a success - I'm running now without FBDev and
everything is working great.

The second remains elusive. I'm running kernel 2.4.2 with AGP support
enabled and Matrox AGP support as a module, along with my 4.0.99.1
xserver debs.

The relevant line in my X server output seems to be the following:
(EE) MGA(0): [drm] MGADRIScreenInit failed (DRM version = 2.0.1,
expected 2.1.x).  Disabling DRI.

Does this mean I don't have a high enough version of DRM in my kernel,
even though 2.4.2 is practically bleeding edge? (I checked Alan's
changelogs and I don't see any mention of updated DRI even in the latest
2.4.2ac series kernels). If so, how do I correct this? Do I need to
compile DRI from cvs? Or is it somewhere in the XFree tree that I
already downloaded, and I just have to do some magic to add it into my
kernel?

Is anyone else running newer versions of X than 4.0.2 and having this
issue? Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart.