BYOX (Build Your Own X) - again

I've just joined this list, but I see a few times in the archives that
people have tried to build their own X debs. These threads seem to peter
out without any resolution most of the time.

I'm in the same situation as others who want to do this - a couple of
bugs/features are in the latest 4.0.99.1 version of X, and I want to
take advantage of these without losing the debian-ness of my X
installation.

I haven't had any success as yet, but I'm hoping that by pooling my
resources with other people who are trying to do the same thing, we can
perhaps come up with a working procedure.

What I did was as follows (from memory - I may have a filename or two
wrong, as I'm not at the relevant machine right now. Later this evening
I can post a full log):

# apt-get build-dep xserver-xfree86
# apt-get source xserver-xfree86
# cvs -r xf-4_0_99_1 co xc
# tar zcvf xfree86-4.0.99.1.tar.gz xc
# cd xfree86-4.0.2
# mv upstream/archives/xfree*.tar.gz ..
# mv ../xfree86-4.0.99.1.tar.gz upstream/archives
# vi debian/scripts/patch.apply
(comment out the "exit 1" line - some patches are bound to fail with a
new version of the upstream source)
# vi debian/changelog
(add a new line for 4.0.99.1-0local1 by myself)
# debian/rules binary-xserver
(because I only care about the server)

The build works for a while (a bunch of patches fail, but some of them
succeed, and it gets into the build part of the process), but fails when
trying to run (I think):
bison -y -d pswparser.y
The error message indicates it's looking for a file called bison.simple
in /usr/share somewhere. The file really doesn't exist. I have the
latest version of bison from unstable installed, and apt-cache search
bison yielded no obvious candidates.

That's where I get stuck. Any ideas, anyone?

(btw, the 4.0.2 packages I'm working with are the latest as of
yesterday, which were 4.0.2-7. All of this was done as root, which I
know isn't ideal but I'm concerned about getting it *working* first).

It may be clear that I don't *really* know what I'm doing here - but
perhaps if a lot of us who don't know what we're doing individually work
together, we'll find that the union of all our knowledge is enough to
get this to work...

Stuart.