FreeType

Is there any chance that freetype should be working in woody?  I just
did a dist-upgrade (with a lot of rough spots) and am not having much
luck with it or other proportional fonts.  My test case is xman, since
I noticed it got much better when I installed the true-type font
server in olden days (potato).

I can't find the "backend" (described as "formerly xfsft").  If I did,
I would still have sticking face numbers in my font.dirs file.  I see
no mention a program to do this or how it should (e.g., can I just
pick a random face number?).

When I installed XFree86 4.0.2 it kicked out references to the old
true-type stuff (e.g., not port 7101 in the dir list, options are set
for freetype not true type).  So I gather that's the way we're
supposed to go.  But can we get there yet?

XF86Config has a font server at 7100 as the first item, but I'm not
sure if anything is running there--or if the new server now replaces
the two I had previously (namely the regular and TT servers).

Steps I've done so far:
* Ugly install, with lots of --force-overwrite (known and corrected bug, apparently)
* I installed fttools to get mkttfdir.
* Edited my XF86Config--it had :unscaled still in it, and fixed before
* Created fonts/FreeType and put symlinks in it to my MS fonts.
Ran mkttfdir and renamed output from fonts.dir to fonts.scale (the
README.fonts implies it produces fonts.scale as output.  I can't read
the manpage because of another corrected bug).

Anyway, I'm a little confused.  If I can get the scaled fonts working,
that would be great.  If I find out I can't, that would still be nice,
because then I wouldn't spend a lot of time on the problem.

P.S.  The libs I've got installed are v6 aka 2, but most of the other
stuff is v2 aka 1.4.