Re: XFree86 4.0.1 Rage 128 difficulties.

A few suggestions:

1) Please send non-Debian-specific X questions to newbie@xfree86.org until
there are official Debian XFree86 4.x packages, at which time you should
use debian-user@lists.debian.org.  Unless you subscribe to those lists,
please be sure to request private replies.

2) Please avoid asking sundry unrelated questions in one huge paragraph; it
makes it difficult to reply.

3) Make sure you've set up the "Modules" section of your XF86Config to get
the proper extensions loaded.  It looks like you're only loading a very
few.  You've got a subsection for "extmod" but you never ask it to be
loaded.  I think the SHAPE extension is in the extmod module.

4) The libGLU problem is being worked out.  At first XFree86 didn't build
it in their version of Mesa, now it looks like they might start.  Please be
patient and keep in mind that these .debs are unstable and unofficial.

5) The tdfx driver problems were fixed in phase2v5; please test the latest
versions of these packages BEFORE reporting problems.  I do actually fix
bugs.

6) Please, please, please send Debian-specific questions about the
unofficial X .debs to debian-x@lists.debian.org.  The other caveats above
about mailing lists apply here.  That way more than one person can help you
out, since many more people know the answers to your questions.  When
XFree86 4.x .debs become official, use debian-user.

7) Please review the language at the X Strike Force regarding these .debs.
"they are for testing, not general-purpose use".  The content and style of
your mail indicates to me that you are approach these packages as an
end-user, not a fellow developer who is experienced with the X Window
System and who knows how to help people fix bugs as well as find them.

8) I appreciate your patience as I (and the helpful people on debian-x)
move toward official XFree86 4.x .debs that WILL be for general-purpose
use.  Having to offer private tutorials to people who send me mail directly
does not hasten this process, so please consider other avenues for
assistance before mailing me directly in the future.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    If you wish to strive for peace of soul,
Debian GNU/Linux               |    then believe; if you wish to be a