Re: XTerm 4.0.1b(144) segfault with ssh -v and sudo

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Tommi Virtanen wrote:

> 	I can make xterm segfault reproducibly
> 	on Debian GNU/Linux woody (unstable).
>
> [tv@hq ~/tmp/x]$ ./xterm -version
> XFree86 4.0.1b(144)

I have a couple of patches from Robert Brady dealing with select/paste
behavior - perhaps that is related.  I'll probably include those in my
current (#145) patch, which I expect to complete this weekend.  If that
doesn't fix the problem, perhaps we can instrument the addXtermCombining
function (or before, if you have time), to see for instance if the row/col
values are out of range.  I suspect one's negative, or something like
that.

> 	Here's a backtrace:

> 0x8066076 in addXtermCombining ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x8066076 in addXtermCombining ()
> #1  0x804fa3d in VTparse ()
> #2  0x8053b5e in VTRun ()
> #3  0x80697d8 in main ()
> #4  0x40225a52 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb)
>
> 	Do tell if I can help you any more. I speak
> 	C well enough and can manage my way with the
> 	debugger.

For xterm, I mostly don't use the debugger, since it uses two processes
(which makes it awkward).  I configure using the --enable-trace option,
and add TRACE() macros to show me interesting things.  ElectricFence
helps, too.

--
T.E.Dickey <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
http://dickey.his.com