Re: Installed XFree86 4.0.1-0phase1v18 -- some questions

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 07:31:39PM +0200, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
> I've now installed the XFree86 4.0.1-0phase1v18 packages. The upgrade from

Darn.  phase1v19 has been out for a few days.

> * Where should "this program works differently with XFree86 4.0.1 than with
>   XFree86 3.3.6"-errors be reported? Here, to the XFree86 project, or to
>   the maintainer of that program? (An example - one of a few - of this
>   would be, "if I use xmessage the text box will appear to be empty until
>   I've resized the window to be at least one pixel taller." In this case,
>   of course, the maintainer of the program would be someone in the XFree86
>   project, but that's not always the case.)

If you could report these upstream, or hold them as Debian bugs until
4.0.1-1, I'd appreciate it.  I'm trying to solve the big problems first.

> * If I have to report an error outside of this list it would be useful to
>   know exactly which version of XFree86 I'm using. Some things lead me to
>   believe that it's not 4.0.1 but a later CVS snapshot. Is that right?

The package changelog will inidicate what version was used.  For either v18
or v19 I stablized on 4.0.1c.

Another way to find out is to read the upstream changelog.

> * The xserver-svga package used to provide xserver, but xserver-xfree86
>   doesn't. Since there is only one X server package now I can see how this
>   could be intentional. The only package where this caused a problem for me
>   was task-x-window-system-core, and I thought I saw a new version of that
>   one while checking the Debian FTP earlier today, so this may already have
>   been fixed. (Of course, the Internet connection chooses this particular
>   moment to fail mysteriously, so I can't check.)

Sorry, that was a bug.  Fixed.

> * My xterm is now white text on a black background. Is that intentional, or
>   is it related to the app-defaults thread? I noticed that it doesn't seem
>   to pay any attention to my /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.

That is intentional.  The screen colors are defined in
/etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color.

> * I know it's Debian policy that *-dev packages contain static versions of
>   their libraries, but in the case of xlib6g-dev I do wish it was still
>   possible to not install them since they are bloody huge.

Policy doesn't really allow me an alternative.  However, I am presently
shipping things unstripped.  For official release, I'll turn stripping back
on and this will make some of the packages much smaller.  I expect
xlib6g-dev to be the main beneficiary of this.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |   Never attribute to malice that which can