Xfree configuration hangs when installing from scratch.

Hello, ...

after some harddisk problems, i had to reinstall my system (ppc/apus) and
built the newest boot floppies for it and tested it.

after choosing the task-x-common, or whatever it was called, i was 	asked
about configuring X.

the dialog boxes tells me that i don't have a /proc/pci (which is normal since
i don't have a pci bus on my hardware, and am using an fbdev X server anyway.)

so i respond to some questions saying no to them, (don't remember well), and
then apt-get crashes on me. Very strange behavior. Are the X packages
responsible for that or the boot floppies stuff ?

Anyway, since at least two arches that debian will support with potato use the
fbdev X server, and maybe other could use it too, would it not be nice to
check for a present /proc/fb#, when no /proc/pci is there (or even check for
both and ask the user which he will use) ?

After that you can easily generate a XF86Config file for fbdev driver, asking
the user only about their monitor specifications, and detecing the chipset
used from the /proc/fb file, andenabling accels if it is supported ?

I could do the changes if needed, but i think it will be quicker if someone
knowledgeable about the configuration process look into it, or at least
provide me some information on where to look. Also i have no diskspace anymore
for building the xfree-1 package.

Friendly,

Svne LUTHER