Re: RFC: NO, THE X SERVERS SHOULD NOT DEPEND ON XFONTS-BASE

> I'd very much appreciate hearing these suggestions.  Please DON'T send them
> directly to me; send them to debian-x@lists.debian.org instead so they can
> be considered and discussed by a number of people.

Having spent five years practicing law before escaping, I'd suggest
you give up on any solution that involves people getting a clue before
you waste any time on it . . . (OK, it comes up in college teaching, too :)

What about a "suggests" rather than a "depends"?  Or a dummy package to
either grab all of the packages a "clueless" user would want, or (though
probably a bad idea) make a dependency on "haveXfonts" which is
satisfied either by the font package, or by another dummy package
"fontserveravailable".

Someone installing it who understands what a fontserver is, and how
to handle such configurations, can probably handle difference.  The
clueless newbie, however, is more likely to get stuck and see it
doesn't work.  Giving him a clue isn't an option, leaving a choice
between somehow accomodating him, and chasing him away.

ONe thing on the "suggests"--dselect needs some type of cleaning
in the way it handles these.  Once you turn down a suggestion, it
sometimes keeps coming back like a bad penny, both during that
session, and later sessions, requiring an ongoing "forcing".  Maybe
add a "No, damnit" that's "stickier" ??

rick