Re: xfree86-1 3.3.6-3; 3 down, 3 to go

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:55:52AM -0500, Brian Almeida wrote:
> Actually, I was just going through a policy bug report on this, and it
> is not actually mandated, just suggested:
>
> Policy 4.1:
>
> "The -g flag is useful on compilation so that you have available a full set of
> debugging symbols in your built source tree, in case anyone should file a bug
> report involving (for example) a core dump."

Well, I mandate it because X server crashes are pure hell to debug.  People
need all the help they can get.  Upstream will (rightly) demand a
meaningful backtrace anyway.

> But you'd still have to hack the X build system to build the debug libraries,
> but not compile the other packages with -g.

Eh?  I don't follow.  The libs are built with -g as well, and stripped for
packaging.  The unstripped versions remain available in the build tree.  So
I can just toss someone, say, the unstripped version of libXt.so.6.0, and
let gdb do its thing.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |             //     // //  /     /