Re: [spock@mgnet.de: Re: XFree Packages]

Klaus,
  Basically you can check the Debian Packaging Manual or New-Maintainer
  Guide. But if I can quickly, here's two simple ways to go:

  1. apt-get -b source $(package)
     Will download said package and attempt to build it. WARN does not
     check build-depends automatically.

  2. If source is already downloaded: dpkg-source -x $(package).dsc
     Will unpack the source and apply the diff. Then you must
     cd $(package)-$(version) && $(GETROOT) debian/rules binary

     NOTE this does not check build-depends either, with source present
     apt-get -b source $(package) can also be used, it will just hit
     the mirror to ensure you have latest package prior to unpacking
     and building.

  Goodluck
  Gordon Sadler