Re: usb mice in 4.0.1-12

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 02:11:43AM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 07:00:52PM +0100, Charl P. Botha wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 01:52:35AM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> > Read some more. :) /dev/input/mouse? and /dev/input/mice are PS/2
> > "compatible" interfaces.
> > Please see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/input.txt for details: you
> > basically use /dev/input/mouse0 and protocol "ImPS/2" as well as the
> > ZAxisMapping line to enable your scrolley thingy.
>
> For sale: one old serial mouse.
>
> Yippee. Thanks Charl; it's working like a charm: buttons on the
> side & wheel even bring up Settings and User Menu in Enlightenment!
>
> So if </dev/input/mouse?> is the compatible device, where is the real device?
> Is it </dev/mouse/mouse?> ? Is that speaking the 'usb' protocol as mentioned
> in the /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.mouse.gz documentation?

I'm glad it works.  AFAICR, linux doesn't yet have a native usb mouse device
abstraction, unless you count the generic usb input API.  According to the
mouse docs in XFree86 as well, the usb protocol support hasn't been
tested/is unknown under linux.  You're not losing anything by making use of
the /dev/input/mouse? devices however.

Enjoy the higher sampling rate of your usb mouse!

--
charl p. botha      | computer graphics and cad/cam
http://cpbotha.net/ | http://www.cg.its.tudelft.nl/