usb mice in 4.0.1-12

Is anyone else using a USB mouse with 4.0.1-12? I have got it working with
gpm from console, so I know I have all the modules running (under 2.4.0-t12),
but when I stop gpm and try to use the device, /dev/input/mouse0 directly, it
dosen't work.

Now I have read and re-read /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.mouse.gz,
part 6.2, and it says to use "Protocol" "usb" or "Protocol" "Auto". When
I use auto, the log file from gdm says "unable to detect protocol" or similar.
I get my gdm login, but my mouse won't wiggle a pixel.

More disturbing is that when I specify the protocol to be "usb", gdm crashes
repeatedly until it exceeds its refresh count, and then shuts down for
a few minutes before trying again. Looking at the log file says:
	(EE) Mouse0: Unknown protocol "usb"
	(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse0"

Is there a trick here to using the USB driver in 4.0.1 that I have missed?

The Mouse itself is a M$ IntelliExplorer USB opticla mouse: four buttons,
and a wheel ("Buttons" "7"). This is an i386 boxen. X has been working
fine with the older /dev/ttyS0 serial mouse.

TIA.
  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james