Re: Short inquiry: Xaw packages

Hi Aaron :-)

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 08:38:56AM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> On my X workstation, there are currently 3 Xaw packages installed for
> a small selection of Athena apps (all from Debian): libxaw6, libxaw7,
> and xaw3dg. Oh yeah, and xaw-wrappers. The dependencies seem to be a
[snip]
> filed on those that depend on the wrong one? A dependency on xaw3dg
> looks fishy to me, since the xaw3dg description claims it changes the
> appearance of applications dynamically linked against libXaw.

xaw3dg is supposed to be an API-compatible replacement for Xaw, replacing
the standard Xaw widgets with 3D workalikes. Unfortunately, xaw3dg is not
100% compatible with all Xaw apps -- see xaw-wrappers for more info. Xaw3d
causes some plain Xaw apps to crash.

The current mess with libxaw6 and libxaw7 is because we're slowly moving
from X 3.3.* to 4.0.*. libxaw6 is the 3.3.* version of Xaw, which many of
our X packages still depend on. libxaw7 is the 4.0.* version of Xaw, which
is much better, but we need to recompile all packages against it and it's
not 100% API-compatible. (There are some minor changes which aren't hard
to fix in theory, but in practice, some programs, like the aXe editor
which I'm maintaining, have "unclean" code that makes assumptions on
non-API features of libxaw6 -- which is a nightmare to fix so that it
compiles against the new Xaw.)

As for why some packages explicitly depends on xaw3dg, it just shows that
Xaw3d and plain Xaw are not 100% compatible -- see gv, for example. I'm
not sure if gv is exactly *dependent* on xaw3d-specific features; maybe it
is.

I haven't lost my mind: it's backed up on tapes -- CompuMan