Re: [dwarf@polaris.net: Problem with X after upgrade to potato]

[No need to mail Branden directly; debian-user or debian-x are probably
the better forums anyway.]

* Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net> [001213 20:46]:
> ----- Forwarded message from Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> -----
> When working in X, I am often switching back to a console VC, and then
> returning back to the X VC when done at the console. After the upgrade,
> often, but not always, switching back to the X server's VC will cause the
> server to restart. It doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough
> to make doing honest work very difficult. (restarting mozilla is a real
> yawn)

Dale, I had this same problem myself, with pre-release versions of
Branden's .debs. (The -phase1 and -phase2 releases.) I wrote a message
off to matrox, they wrote back some obvious things, but nothing helped.

Sadly, I don't recall if the problem went away when I upgraded the
matrox-supplied mga_drv.o driver, or at some point when Branden updated
the CVS he was tracking. :(

It might not hurt to comment out the GLX/DRI stuff in your XF86Config-4
file, if you don't need them. It isn't perfect. :)

HTH

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''