Re: ssh -- X11 forwarding with new server-xfree86

Lukas, I think there are several things going on at once. xhost allows
individual hosts to connect to X -- by default, X doesn't listen to tcp
sockets (the -nolisten tcp bit in one of the /etc/X11/ files) so remote
hosts will not be able to connect, with or without xhost authorization.

Also, ssh does the tunnelling for you -- if you manually set DISPLAY on
the other machine, which may be done in a shell script someplace :),
then you do not get the benefit of ssh's tunnelling.

Also, I would hope ssh could dump the local end of the pipe to X through
unix domain sockets, for the slight speed help -- but if it requires
using tcp to talk to the local server (which wouldn't surprise me at
all), then you need to remove the -nolisten tcp bit.

The fact that it complains about not opening the 10.0.1.4:0.0 display
says to me that the DISPLAY environment variable is set someplace.

Note also that Debian ships ssh in such a fashion that X forwarding
doens't take place automatically -- you must edit files in /etc/ssh/ to
fix this. (This is to prevent problems mentioned on
bugtraq@securityfocus.com.)

HTH

* Lukas Ruf <ruf@tik.ee.ethz.ch> [001212 13:45]: