Re: building xfree86 4 for debian/arm

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 06:09:51PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> # remove the upstream symlink X -> XFree86
> rm /.1/usr/local/src/xfree86-4.0.1/debian/tmp/usr/X11R6/bin/X
> rm: cannot remove `/.1/usr/local/src/xfree86-4.0.1/debian/tmp/usr/X11R6/bin/X': No such file or directory
> make: *** [debian/stampdir/install] Error 1
>
> This symlink does not exist because the XFree86 server binary was not built
> in the first place and therefore no symlink was created.

That's bad.

> I'm not sure why the server isn't being built; does this imply an error in a
> configuration file somewhere or does it mean that there is no upstream
> support for the arm architecture?

Possibly both.

> In particular, the fact that xc/config/cf/xfree86.cf does not mention
> Arm32Architecture at all seems somewhat suspicious...

Yes.

> I have a complete (3MB!) build log generated using script, so can look
> through it for anything if necessary.
>
> [Would I be better off asking this question of the debian-arm list?]

The actual porting will probably have to be done by someone familiar with
the ARM, but something could likely be cooked up fairly quickly, based on
the ARM patches for XFree86 3.x.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |             //     // //  /     /