building xfree86 4 for debian/arm

Has anybody had any success in building xfree86 4 for debian/arm?
I tried building 4.0.1-10pre11v1 from the source packages at
people.debian.org/~branden/woody/

this successfully made it through the process of building binaries
and installing them into the debian/tmp directory, but then fell over
trying to remove a non-existent symlink:

# remove the upstream symlink X -> XFree86
rm /.1/usr/local/src/xfree86-4.0.1/debian/tmp/usr/X11R6/bin/X
rm: cannot remove `/.1/usr/local/src/xfree86-4.0.1/debian/tmp/usr/X11R6/bin/X': No such file or directory
make: *** [debian/stampdir/install] Error 1

This symlink does not exist because the XFree86 server binary was not built
in the first place and therefore no symlink was created.

I'm not sure why the server isn't being built; does this imply an error in a
configuration file somewhere or does it mean that there is no upstream
support for the arm architecture?

In particular, the fact that xc/config/cf/xfree86.cf does not mention
Arm32Architecture at all seems somewhat suspicious...

I have a complete (3MB!) build log generated using script, so can look
through it for anything if necessary.

[Would I be better off asking this question of the debian-arm list?]

Peter Maydell