Re: How to start X during bootup as user

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 08:42:57AM +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to run X from an init script during boot up like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> while true; do
>   su - kiosk -c /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
> done

Why are you doing this?  Why not run xdm?  It's not THAT time-consuming to
log in when you need the computer.  Unless you run Enlightenment, in which
case the amount of time it takes you to log in is the least of your
problems. ;)

Personally, I prefer not running xdm, and just doing startx when I need to.
That way it's easy for me to change bitdepths or whatever.  That is, of
course, a personal preference, but there's much cleaner ways to keep your
system in X at all times anyway.

> Starting this manually as root works as expected. While booting I get:
>   X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
>   var: allowed_users, value: rootonly.
>   var: nice_value, value: -10.
>
> Changing from rootonly to anybody makes no difference.
> Ok - that's no login shell from there, but...

It probably has to do with the fact that you're not starting it up from a
terminal or something.  But, again, it's a bad idea to do that anyway.
Just use xdm or gdm or the like if it's that important that your system be
in X at all times...

--
Joshua Shagam                  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu           \ / No HTML/RTF in email