Re: xserver-xfree8 4.0.1-8 on powerpc

>> > it still present some annoying glitch: the color of the whole display is
>> > wrong, it has a general pink hue.

Do you mean it is actually pink, or are you simply saying that some
gray colours have a slightly pinkish shade?

FS> I don't remember for sure under which depth I tested it when the
FS> screen was wrapped, but I'll say yes, it was. However, for now, it
FS> does this in 16 bpp mode (is this such a weird mode ?), and not in
FS> 8 bpp.

Depth 16 (not 16 bpp!) is a weird mode indeed.  In depth 16, the
colour cube is not cubic (64x32x32), and colours on the diagonal
(i.e. shades of gray) need to be approximated with nearby colours, so
all (non-dithered) grays are either slightly pink or slightly cyan.

Personally, I prefer using depth 15 (which is still 16bpp).  As Keith
Packard once mentioned, ``pink is not my favourite shade of gray.''

                                        Juliusz