[ubq7@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de: XDM and alternatives]

----- Forwarded message from Hendrik Sattler <ubq7@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> -----

From: Hendrik Sattler <ubq7@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To: branden@debian.org
Subject: XDM and alternatives
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 20:10:02 +0100

Hallo,

I have two questions:

1.
Why is almost everything using the alternatives-method but not the
(K|G|W|X)DM programs (somthing like x-desktop-manager). It's a cool feature
and much cleaner than starting up to 4 DM-Scripts at start-up.

2.
Why is X startet in almost every runlevel (2,3,4,5). Sometimes I want to go
to a multiuser non-X runlevel (also when booting the computer) though thats
not possible without removing the Symbolic links from e.g runlevel 2 manually
or making them kill-scripts.

Hendrik Sattler

PS: This is not a complaint but a question for my own understaing of the
underlying  thoughts of the ways it was done.

--
PingoS - Linux-User helfen Schulen
http://www.pingos.schulnetz.org

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is a
Debian GNU/Linux               |     growing closer.  It beats the hell out