Re: X4.0 for m68k

[joeyh: question for you below]

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 07:58:07PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> I gave xfree86 4.0.1-8 another try. MANIFEST has changed, I'll put it again
> on people.d.o/~cts/x4.0

Okay.

> I've seen 4.0.1-9 in incoming (the orig.tar.gz was missing?)

.orig.tar.gz's typically don't accompany Debian package revisions greater
than -1.

>, do I need
> another new MANIFEST for that?

Yes, you will; this contains a new upstream beta.

> package building did not(?) fail anyhow?
>
> # compare manifests
> (cd debian/tmp && find -type f | sort | cut -c3-) > debian/MANIFEST.m68k.new
> # confirm that the installed file list has not changed
> # remove initial test once we have MANIFESTs for every arch
> [ -e debian/MANIFEST.m68k ] && if ! cmp -s debian/MANIFEST.m68k debian/MANIFEST. m68k.new; then echo 'MANIFEST check failed; please see debian/README' exit 1; fi
> MANIFEST check failed; please see debian/README exit 1
> touch debian/stampdir/install
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> dh_movefiles
> find: usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.3: No such file or directory
> find: usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.3.3: No such file or directory
> find: usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.3: No such file or directory
> find: usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.3.3: No such file or directory
> find: usr/lib/libOSMesa.so: No such file or directory
> find: usr/lib/libOSMesa.so: No such file or directory
> make: *** [debian/stampdir/binary-arch] Error 1
>
> I had that before, did you have a patch to fix that?

My control file says this:

Package: xlibosmesa3
Architecture: alpha i386 powerpc sparc
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
 Sorry, no extended desription yet.

Package: xlibosmesa-dev
Architecture: alpha i386 powerpc sparc
Depends: xlibosmesa3
development files
 Sorry, no extended desription yet.

Why is debhelper trying to move those files?

Oh, I'll bet debhelper doesn't pay attention to the control file for
dh_movefiles.  Damn.

> I tried to complete the build by hand:
> dpkg-gencontrol: error: current build architecture m68k does not appear in package's list (alpha i386 powerpc sparc)

That shouldn't be a problem.  If I don't tell dpkg to build a package for a
certain architecture, it shouldn't try, not complain that I told it not to.

> Failed here:
> sudo dh_builddeb
> dpkg-deb: building package `lbxproxy' in `../lbxproxy_4.0.1-8_m68k.deb'.
> dpkg-deb: conffile `/etc/X11/lbxproxy/AtomControl' does not appear in package
> dh_builddeb: command returned error code

After dh_movefiles runs, the rules stop being idempotent.

You'll need to

fakeroot debian/rules install FORCE=1
fakeroot debian/rules binary

Yes, this will take time :(. That's why I filed #75360.

> I could not work around that, tried to change it in control, files, neither
> worked. Damn, I am so close, Branden, please do something!

I need to know from joeyh if dh_movefiles ignores debhelper files for
packages that aren't being built for the current architecture.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    America is at that awkward stage.  It's
Debian GNU/Linux                |    too late to work within the system, but