r128 driver broken

Hi,
I notice that the r128 driver no longer works as of 4.0.1-4, I'm not sure why
the symptoms are that the screen goes black and the keyboard stops working, the
machine doesn't lock up but I have to telnet to it in order the shut it down.
Killing X has no effect on the keyboard or screen, although I did recover it
once by changing to the XF86_SVGA (XF3.3.6) driver and I had to start and stop
that twice before my screen came up.
alas the log files are useless. According to the log X is running fine, I
suspect that the driver doesn't get on very well with the new version of libc6
that got installed at the same time, I did try regressing both x and glibc back
but it made no difference, maybe theres a config file that is set wrong that
doesn't get removed by apt.
Something else I noticed was that the X process takes 100% cpu. I tried this on
various kernels that supported dri.  I have also tried trashing the box and
reinstalling from scratch just in case it was something I'd done, but its
exactly the same. Any ideas?

Second problem.
The Chips and Technologys driver seems very broken. I think this is the driver
and not anything to do with glibc. the symtoms are it totaly kills the box its
run on. Its like remove batteries and power to shutoff the machine (the box in
question is a laptop). I did hear from someone else that this is something to do
with calls made to the bios.

Regards
Jon Westgate
(Oryn)