Re: unneccessary conflict with libxfont-xtt

>> > Package: xlibs
>> > Version: 4.0.1-3
>> > Severity: normal
>> >
>> > The xlibs packgage conflicts with the libxfont-xtt package, but if I force
>> > installing libxfont-xtt (needed for xfs-xtt), everything works fine, and
>> > there are no overwrites/conflicts. If xlibs is suppose to include a
>> > replacement for libxfont-xtt it doesn't right now, so libxfont-xtt is needed
>> > to run xfs-xtt.
>>
>> xfs-xtt is no longer necessary either.  The "TT" patches that have existed
>> for so long now exist in XFree86 proper.

 It is almost true, but is wrong in some situation.

 XFree86 4.0 provides two TrueType backends, `freetype (xfsft)' and
`xtt (X-TrueType, X-TT)'. These are incompatible and are not able to
use at the sama time. User should choose to use `freetype' backend or
`xtt' backend in XF86Config file.

 X-TT support TTCap, it provide automatic glyph transformation. By
using TTCap description, support for font transformations, such as
slanting, adjusting glyph width, pseudo-bolding, etc.

 TTCap are very useful to use CJKV fonts.

 FreeType backane does not provide this scheme.

 User can choose which TrueType support backend to use, if he can
use XFree86 4.0's X server (xserver-xfree86) on his machine. But
if his graphic hardware is not supported by XFree86, he should use
XFre86 3.3.6's X server (xserver-svga etc etc etc..). XFree86 3.3.6
is not support TrueType font. So he can not use TrueType font on
Xserver.

 But In this stuation, he can use `TrueType supported X font server'
to render TrueType font. Xfs of XFree86 4.0 support TrueType. But,
this xfs only support `freetype' backane, can't use TTCap scheme.
Because libXfont linked with XFree86 4.0's xfs includes only
`freetype' backane library. Which TrueType backend to link with
libXfont can choose at build time. XFree86 4.0's build time default
setting is "to use 'freetype' backend with xfs'

 If this user want to use TTCap scheme, he should install xfs-xtt
(xfs-xtt links X-TT backend).

 But if xlibs Conflics: libxfont-xtt, he can not install xfs-xtt.

** Conclusion 1 ***

 I think better that xlibs would not conflict libxfont-xtt.

*******************

 On the other hand, to install libxfont-xtt and xserver-xfree86 at the
same time, perhaps cause a trouble.

 CodeConv modules included in libxfont-xtt and included in
xserver-xfree86 are installed in same place
(/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/codeconv).

 X-TT backend would search this directory and try to load these
automatically when needed.

 But libxfont-xtt's and xserver-xfree86's code conv modules are
incompatible. Libxfont-xtt's code conv modules are libdl scheme
module, xserver-xxfree86's modules are XFree86 scheme module.
So, When libxfont-xtt serch the directory and try to load
xserver-xfree86's code conv module, of cause can not load it
and cause error.  When xserver-xfree86 serch the directory and try to
load libxfont-xtt's code conv module cant load it and cause error.

 So xserver-xfree86 and libfont-xtt conflicts, I think.

** Conclusion 2 ***

 xserver-xfree86 and libfont-xtt should conflicts to each other.
(and libfont-xtt should use another directory for code conv module).

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>, <ishikawa@debian.org>, <ishikawa@redhat.com>