wierd bug: ati xserver hangs when eth0 is up

Hi,

I'm experiencing the following behavior with the new X 4.0.1-3 running
the "ati" X server:

Normally, the X server hangs and the screen goes blank somewhere
during startup.

However, if I bring down my ethernet connection first
using "ifconfig eth0 down", X starts up normally and it doesn't
hang.

At the console, I can bring down my static IP address
and use "pump" to set up a dynamic (DHCP) IP address
with no problem (I have a laptop, so I don't always use my office static
IP address).

However, when I'm in X, the command "pump" also hangs. On leaving
X the following message is sometimes shown on the console
"eth0: Tx hang, 9 vs 0"

After leaving X I still have problems with my ethernet connection,
"pump" still fails. "pump" only works when I am not in X, or I haven't
used X previously.

So, I can use X, or have my ethernet connect up, but not both.

My card is: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x.
This occurs with a 2.2.17 and 2.4.0test10 kernels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Edgar.